Parking and Traffic Alert: Housing Move-In, August 21–25
Posted: August 16, 2019 at 9:33 am, Last Updated: August 16, 2019 at 10:03 am
Several parking and traffic closures will occur on the Fairfax Campus from August 21–25 to accommodate the move-in of over 6,000 residential students (including over 2,300 freshmen).
A successful move-in process is a university priority. Key units across the university coordinate to make the experience as efficient as possible. Your patience and cooperation are appreciated.
Refer to the Fairfax Campus map for parking lot and road locations.
Parking Closures and Impacts
- Lot C: Closed from Tuesday, August 20, at 11 p.m. to Wednesday, August 21, at 6 p.m.
- Lot L: Closed Wednesday, August 21, from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Rappahannock River Parking Deck: Faculty and staff are advised to avoid parking in the deck on Wednesday, August 21. General faculty/staff permit holders may park on the roof ONLY on Wednesday, August 21. General permit area on Levels 1–3 (including faculty/staff general area on Level 3) will be closed to all but move-in traffic only on Wednesday, August 21, from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Reserved permit holders may park on reserved Levels 3–5 on August 21. On August 21 and August 24–25, reserved levels will only be accessible via the University Drive entrance on Level 2. The reserved level gates will be open to accommodate families and students moving into the residence halls.
- Lot I: Closed to all but move-in traffic from Friday, August 23, at 11 p.m. to Saturday, August 24, at 6 p.m.
- Lot R: Closed to all but move-in traffic from Tuesday, August 20, at 11 p.m. until Saturday, August 24, at 6 p.m.
- Short-Term Lots: Washington Lot near Presidents Park (off Shenandoah River Lane) will be closed from Tuesday, August 20, at 11 p.m. to Wednesday, August 21, at 6 p.m. The short-term parking lot by Eastern Shore will only be available to move-in traffic with disabled permits from Thursday, August 21, at 6 a.m. until Sunday, August 25, at 5 p.m.
- Lot K: Will be used by families after moving in on Wednesday, August 21.
Traffic Closures and Impacts
- To avoid delays, drivers are advised to access campus via the entrances at Mason Pond Drive (from Ox Road/Route 123), Shenandoah River Lane (from Roberts Road), and Campus Drive (from Braddock Road).
- The Nottoway River Lane entrance to campus at Braddock Road will be closed on Wednesday, August 21, from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- The Roanoke River Road entrance will be open to traffic. However, those moving into the Shenandoah Neighborhood (Presidents Park) will use this entrance. Therefore, traffic will be very busy at Roanoke River Road and on Braddock Road.
- Patriot Circle in front of the Rappahannock River Parking Deck will be closed to all traffic on Wednesday, August 21, from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., and from Saturday, August 24, at 6 a.m. until Sunday, August 25, at 6 p.m. Access to the visitor section of the deck will be available via Rappahannock River Lane and Patriot Circle.
- Chesapeake River Lane will be closed to all traffic, except commercial deliveries, from Wednesday, August 21, at 6 a.m. until Sunday, August 25, at 6 p.m.
- Rivanna River Lane will be closed to all but service and delivery vehicles on Wednesday, August 21, from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., and from Saturday, August 24, at 6 a.m. until Sunday, August 25, at 6 p.m. As a reminder, Lot T by Southside is closed.
Thank you for your cooperation as we welcome our resident students to campus for the new academic year—especially our freshmen and their families, who are now part of the Mason family.
Write to University Information at firstname.lastname@example.org
TodayAtMason on Twitter
Stay updated on campus construction, traffic information, and more! Follow the official Twitter feed for TodayAtMason.