Parking and Traffic Alert: Housing Move-In, Aug. 17–22, 2021
Posted: August 16, 2021 at 1:48 pm
Several parking and traffic closures will occur on the Fairfax Campus from Aug. 17–22 to accommodate the move-in of residential students.
A successful move-in process is a university priority. Key units across the university coordinate to make the experience as efficient as possible. Your patience and cooperation are appreciated. Please refer to the Fairfax Campus parking lot and road location map:
Parking Closures and Impacts
- Rappahannock River Parking Deck: Faculty and staff are advised to avoid parking in the deck on Wednesday, Aug. 18, and Thursday, Aug. 19. The General permit area on Levels 1–3 (including the designated Faculty/Staff General parking spaces on Level 3) will be closed to all but move-in traffic on Wednesday, Aug. 18, and Thursday, Aug. 19, from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Faculty/Staff reserved permit owners may still park in the gated area on Level 3, and Student reserved permit owners may still park on Levels 4–5 on these days. On Aug. 18 and Aug. 19, the reserved levels will only be accessible via the University Drive entrance on Level 2. Levels 4–5 will also accommodate families and students moving into the residence halls.
- Lot I: Closed to all but move-in traffic from Friday, Aug. 20, at 11 p.m. to Saturday, Aug. 21, at 6 p.m.
- Lot R: Closed to all but move-in traffic from Tuesday, Aug. 17, at 11 p.m. until Saturday, Aug. 21, at 6 p.m.
- Short-Term Lots: The Washington Lot near Presidents Park (off Shenandoah River Lane) will be closed from Tuesday, Aug. 17, at 11 p.m. to Thursday, Aug. 19, at 6 p.m. The short-term parking lot by Eastern Shore will only be available to move-in traffic with disabled permits from Wednesday, Aug. 18, at 6 a.m. until Sunday, Aug. 22, at 5 p.m.
- Lot K: Will be used by families after moving in on Wednesday, Aug. 18, and Thursday, Aug. 19.
Traffic Closures and Impacts
- To avoid delays, drivers are advised to access campus via the entrances at Mason Pond Drive (from Ox Road/Route 123), Shenandoah River Lane (from Roberts Road), and Campus Drive (from Braddock Road).
- Roanoke River Lane and Nottoway River Lane will be open to traffic. Residents who are moving in will be using these entrances as well, so traffic will be heavy on Braddock Road at Roanoke River Lane and Nottoway River Lane.
- The portion of Patriot Circle adjacent to the Rappahannock Parking Deck will be closed to all traffic on Wednesday, Aug. 18, and Thursday, Aug. 19, from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Access to paid visitor parking in the Rappahannock Parking Deck will be available via Patriot Circle.
- Chesapeake River Lane will be closed to all traffic except service, delivery, and disabled vehicles from Wednesday, Aug. 18, at 6 a.m. until Sunday, Aug. 22, at 6 p.m.
- Rivanna River Way will be closed to all traffic except service, delivery, and disabled vehicles on Aug. 18, and Thursday, Aug. 19, from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., and from Saturday, Aug. 21 at 6 a.m. until Sunday, Aug. 22, at 6 p.m. As a reminder, Lot T by Southside Dining is closed.
Thank you for your cooperation as we welcome our resident students to campus for the new academic year—especially our freshmen and their families, who are now part of the Mason family.
Write to University Information at firstname.lastname@example.org
TodayAtMason on Twitter
Stay updated on campus construction, traffic information, and more! Follow the official Twitter feed for TodayAtMason.