Parking and Traffic Advisory: Housing Move-In, Aug. 24 – 27
Posted: August 22, 2017 at 5:53 pm, Last Updated: September 26, 2018 at 9:53 am
Between August 24 and August 27, several parking and traffic closures will impact the Fairfax Campus to accommodate the move-in of over 6,000 residential students, including over 2,200 freshmen.
The move-in process is coordinated by Housing and Residence Life, University Police, Parking & Transportation Services, Environmental Health & Safety, and other key units to make the process as efficient as possible. Making this move-in process work well is a university priority. Your patience and cooperation is appreciated.
Provided is a map of the closures/impacts listed below: Parking Housing Move In 2017.
Parking Closures and Impacts
- Parking Lot C – will be closed from 10 p.m. on Wednesday, August 23 until 6
p.m. on Thursday, August 24.
- Rappahannock River Parking Deck – On Thursday, August 24, from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., General Permit Area Levels 1-3 (including faculty/staff general area on level 3) will be closed to all but move-in traffic. Reserved permit holders will be allowed in the deck to park on reserved levels 3 – 5 on August 24 though it is recommended to avoid parking in the Rappahannock River Parking Deck during this time, as traffic will be extremely heavy approaching and within the deck.
- General faculty/staff permit holders will be allowed to park on the roof only on Thursday, August 24. Between August 24 and 27, the only access to the reserved levels will be through the University Drive entrance on level 2. The reserved level gates will be open to accommodate families and
students moving in to the residence halls.
- Parking Lot I – will be closed to all but move-in traffic from 10 p.m. on Friday, August 25
until 6 p.m. on Saturday, August 26. This closure includes the faculty/staff spaces, 30
minute spaces, and service/repair spaces.
- Parking Lot R – will be closed to all but move-in traffic from 6 p.m. on Wednesday, August 23 until 6 p.m. on Saturday, August 26.
- The Mason Pond Parking Deck – will be used for those moving into the Student
Apartments. While visitor and permit sections will remain open, expect heavy traffic
in and around the deck. Aquia Creek Lane will be closed to all but move-in traffic on Saturday, August 26 from 6 a.m.to 4 p.m. .
- The short-term parking lot near Presidents Park off Shenandoah River Lane will be
closed from 6 a.m. on Thursday, August 24 until 5 p.m. on Sunday, August 27.
- The short-term parking lot beside Eastern Shore residence hall will only be available to
move-in traffic with disabled permits from 6 a.m. on Thursday, August 24 until 5 p.m. on
Sunday, August 27.
Traffic Closures and Impacts
- The Nottoway River Lane entrance at Braddock Road will be closed on Thursday, August 24 from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- The Roanoke River Road entrance will be open to traffic. However, those moving into
the Shenandoah Neighborhood (Presidents Park) are directed to use this entrance.
Thus, traffic will be very busy at Roanoke River Road. It is recommended to use the
entrances at Mason Pond Drive off Ox Road/Route 123, Shenandoah River Lane off
Roberts Road, and Campus Drive off Braddock Road.
- Patriot Circle in front of the Rappahannock River Parking Deck will be closed to all
traffic from 6 a.m. on Thursday, August 24 until 6 p.m. on Sunday, August 27. Access to
the visitor section of the deck will be available.
- Chesapeake River Lane will be closed to all traffic except commercial deliveries from 6
a.m. on Thursday, August 24 until 6 p.m. on Sunday, August 27.
- Rivanna River Lane will be closed to all but service and delivery vehicles from 6 a.m. to
6 p.m. Thursday, August 24 and from 6 a.m. on Saturday, August 26 to 6 p.m. on
Sunday, August 27.
- Aquia Creek Lane will be closed from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, August 26 to all but
move-in, service, and disabled vehicles. The short-term parking around SUB I will only
be available for move-in vehicles.
For questions about parking and traffic during housing move-in, email email@example.com.
Further updates will be provided on Twitter @MasonParking.
Your cooperation is greatly appreciated as we help start this new academic year and welcome back our resident students, especially our freshmen and their families who are now part of the Mason Family.
Write to University Information at firstname.lastname@example.org
TodayAtMason on Twitter
Stay updated on campus construction, traffic information, and more! Follow the official Twitter feed for TodayAtMason.