Parking and Traffic Advisory: April 2019
Posted: April 2, 2019 at 11:17 am, Last Updated: April 2, 2019 at 11:23 am
George Mason University’s Fairfax Campus will experience road closures and parking restrictions during the month of April. This is related to the Core Campus Infrastructure Project and several major events. Here is the information:
1. From April 1-30, the short-term parking spaces on Aquia Creek Lane by SUB I and the Aquia Building will be closed because of work related to the Core Campus Project. Only traffic for Mason Pond Deck permit section, disabled parking, and deliveries will be permitted.
Those needing short-term parking to drop-off or pick-up should use Finley Lot and Lot I‘s 30-minute parking spaces, which will allow 60 minutes of complimentary parking in April. Please do not use other spaces in the lots that are reserved for other purposes. Those needing longer visitor parking should use the visitor sections of the parking decks. Mason Pond and Shenandoah Decks provide complimentary guest parking if one exits before 30 minutes. Visitors should only use Mason Pond Drive to access Mason Pond Deck.
Sidewalk closures will also be in effect on Aquia Creek Lane. Please follow the temporary pedestrian detour signage.
2. On Tuesday, April 2, at 8 p.m., EagleBank Arena hosts The 2Cellos with Jon McLaughlin concert, with doors opening at 7 p.m. Expect heavy traffic on and around campus beginning at 5 p.m. Shenandoah Deck Levels 4 and 5 will be open as limited overflow general parking and event parking. It is recommended to park in Rappahannock River Deck on Tuesday evening.
3. On Thursday, April 4, at 7:00 p.m., EagleBank Arena hosts The Why Don’t We concert, with doors opening at 6 p.m. Expect heavy traffic on and around campus beginning at 4:30 p.m. Shenandoah Deck Levels 4 and 5 will be open as limited overflow general parking and event parking. It is recommended to park in Rappahannock River Deck on Tuesday evening.
4. From April 10-13, Lot L and a section of Lot K closest to Braddock Road will be closed to accommodate bus and trailer parking for the FIRST Robotics Championship at EagleBank Arena. Parking Services staff will be directing general student parking into various parking areas in limited quantities around campus including reserved areas in parking decks and lots. It is strongly recommended to head to Lot P by the Field House and baseball stadium if arriving after 11 a.m., as Lot K is expected to fill.
5. On Thursday, April 11, the 23rd Annual Victims’ Rights 5k Run/Walk (VRRW) will be held on the Fairfax Campus. The race begins at noon in front of Merten Hall, followed by a ceremony on the Merten Hall lawn.
From 11:45 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., George Mason Boulevard between University Drive and Patriot Circle will be closed. Patriot Circle between George Mason Boulevard and Chesapeake River Lane will be closed between 11:45 a.m. and 12:45 p.m. There will be intermittent lane closures around Patriot Circle during the race, as well.
To participate in the VRRW, sign up in advance or on site Thursday morning. For more information, go to vrrw.gmu.edu.
6. On Thursday, April 25, Lot L will be closed in preparation for Mason Day on Friday, April 26. A section of Lot L will close Tuesday, April 23, at 11 p.m. with the rest of the lot closing at 11 p.m. on Wednesday, April 24. The General permit areas on the east campus may reach capacity on Thursday, April 25. Additional General parking is available in General Lot P at the Field House.
If you own a General permit and are coming to campus after noon, we suggest heading directly to Lot K. Allow extra time to get to and from campus on Thursday, April 25.
Write to University Information at email@example.com
TodayAtMason on Twitter
Stay updated on campus construction, traffic information, and more! Follow the official Twitter feed for TodayAtMason.