Spring 2017 Parking and Transportation Update
Posted: January 20, 2017 at 4:29 pm
Mason students, faculty, and staff are reminded that traffic on and around the Fairfax Campus greatly increases during the first few weeks of the semester. The following information is intended to serve as a campus parking and transportation guide and help minimize potential parking and traffic delays.
During the first few weeks of the semester, we suggest allowing an extra 30-45 minutes to arrive on campus. Though some parking spaces are more convenient to your destination than others, the Fairfax Campus has more than enough total parking spaces to accommodate all vehicles. However, many General parking permit areas are still expected to fill at peak class times. A valid parking permit is required to park outside of visitor areas.
At times during the morning, late afternoon, and early evening, campus police cadets will be directing traffic around campus. Please be alert and follow the cadets’ directions.
For further guidance regarding road construction, parking, shuttles, and alternative transportation options, click here.
Special Event Advisory: January 26-27
- To accommodate a special event at EagleBank Arena on Thursday, January 26, and Friday, January 27, Lot L and two sections of Lot K will be closed starting Wednesday, January 25, at 11 p.m.
- The roof of the Rappahannock River Deck, the Field House general lots, and West Campus lot will provide overflow parking with additional shuttle service on Thursday (8 a.m. to 8 p.m.) from the Field House and West Campus.
- Drivers arriving to the Fairfax Campus after 10:30 a.m. on Thursday, January 26, are strongly advised to head directly to Rappahannock River Deck or the Field House. Expect heavy traffic (especially around Lots L and K) on Thursday from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. to 11 p.m., and again on Friday, January 27, from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Drivers are advised to avoid the Roanoke River Road entrance to campus off Braddock and utilize Campus Drive, Nottoway River Road, Mason Pond Drive, Roberts Road, or University Drive.
- All Mason Shuttles routes have changed schedules with the opening of the Sandy Creek Transit Center. Check the posted schedules at shuttle.gmu.edu for spring semester departure times.
- Major changes include: the Mason to Metro shuttle is now the Sandy Creek-Metro shuttle, and the Metro Express is now the Global Center-Metro shuttle. Both schedules can be found under the “Vienna Metro” tab at shuttle.gmu.edu.
- Sandy Creek Transit Center opens Saturday, January 21.
For more information, contact the following:
- Parking: Visit parking.gmu.edu or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Transportation options: Visit transportation.gmu.edu or email email@example.com
- Mason Shuttles: Visit shuttle.gmu.edu or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Parking, transportation, and construction updates are regularly posted on Building Patriot Pride.
Write to University Information at email@example.com